Preview Eagle Peak and Boulder Creek
Eagle_Peak1.jpg Eagle_Peak2.jpg Eagle_Peak3.jpg Eagle_Peak4.jpg Eagle_Peak6.jpg Eagle_Peak8.jpg Eagle_Peak9.jpg </sgallery>
Eagle Peak and Boulder Creek Roads travel the undeveloped oak and chaparrel covered hills between Julian and Descanso. This area, just west of Cuyamaca Rancho State Park, was near the origin of the 2003 Cedar Fire. Much of this area was closed for over a year after the fire to allow regrowth. Cedar Creek Road remains closed.
- Here are some of the areas waiting to be explored
- Deadman's Flat/Cemetery Hill - This fireroad plunges down several hundred feet to Deadman's Flat before continuing through rolling hills of oaks and seasonal ponds. Cattle openly graze this area. A short detour takes you up to a forgotten cemetery.
- Frog Pond - During non-drought years, this is one of the best kept secrets in San Diego. Fish and camp around this small lake or hike down the continuing fireroad to a beautiful slick rock area and seasonal falls. You will literally have the place all to yourself.
- Olde Eagle Peak Road - Before Lake Hodges blocked the way, Eagle Peak Road was an alternate way up to Julian. This sceanic hike explores an old, no longer used section that has hand-stacked rock keeping the road on the side of the mountain.
- Cedar Creek Falls - One of the most well-known areas in San Diego's backcountry. We compare and contrast both ways of hiking in and discuss how to get the most out of this often busy area.
- Eagle Peak Trail - After passing the turnoff to Three Sister's Falls, this trail takes you through rolling oaks and ends at a seasonal pond.
- North Anahuac Spring - This trail takes you through pine, oak and manzanita covered hills and past a very old car on your way to this usually dry, remote spring.
- Three Sisters Falls - Like Cedar Creek Falls, this area is also well-known, but is much less visited. The infamous Devil's Punchbowl is beyond the falls.
Join today and start exploring some of these areas online before you go.
Use of this website constitutes your acceptance of our Terms of Service.